(FYI: The Licorice I am referring to is the real licorice root. It is NOT the candy licorice. Licorice candy usually has no licorice, only anise.)
Dumping caffeine for my adrenal health has led me to seek out a source of healing for my adrenals. Most searching I have done has led me to one thing: licorice. It’s sweet and is therefore very easy to take. In fact, it is a worthy alternative to coffee. Sure, the flavor is different, but it’s a great flavor that leaves a sweet aftertaste that you will enjoy rather than a coffee-breath aftertaste that makes you feel guilty for breathing on someone.
Along with helping out adrenal exhaustion, according to http://www.teabenefits.com/herbal-tea-benefits/licorice-tea-benefits.html, it also:
- speeds healing of stomach ulcers;
- aids in soothing viral liver inflammations;
- fights boils;
- combats diarrhea;
- is good for treating headaches;
- overcomes excessive thirst;
- treats sore throat
- treats canker sores
- reduces inflamation
- is anti-viral
- encourages digestive mucosal tissues to protect themselves from acid
- is a better symptom reliever than Tagamet for a number of ulcer patients (according to a study in Ireland)
- prolongs the life of cortisol (one of the adrenal hormones)
- helps manage auto-immune disorders
According to Winston, David; Steven Maimes (2007). Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief. Healing Arts Press (cite taken from Wikipedia):
In herbalism it is used in the Hoxsey anti-cancer formula, and is a considered adaptogen which helps reregulate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. It can also be used for auto-immune conditions including lupus, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis and animal dander allergies.
What & Where to Buy
The licorice tea I have first purchased can be found here: http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/egyptian-licorice/.
I will be soon trying straight licorice with no other additional herbs, just to be a purist. We get those from The Bulk Herb Store.
I’ll post my personal findings here as the months progress. Stay tuned!